My Life Verse

I live by the following scripture
Daily: "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me" ~Philippians 4:13

Communication Theory



Human Communication is made up of key principles that are important when trying to convey messages across to others.  Four key principles that are very important are:  communication is a process, communication is irreversible, communication is transactional and communication includes both content and relationship management (Kreps, 2011).  Communication is a constant process that never stops because we are constantly sending messages and trying to understand the meanings of communication that is both sent and received. 

Communication is also irreversible.  Once we send a message, it can’t be retrieved.  For example, many of us have heard of the popular sayings “Words are powerful” and “Think before you speak”, well they are both very accurate.  Once we say speak words to someone, they can’t be taken back.  We must keep in mind what is we want to convey in advance before we speak because they will influence our relationships with others.  When we communicate messages others will process them and develop a perception of who we are.



Communication is also transactional, meaning it is two-ways.  Communication is sent and received.  In my work setting I work with a boss who sometimes can come across as being bipolar.  He has OCD and can go from being friendly to rude and demanding in a matter of minutes.  Although there are times that he may say something offensive or frustrate me, I must keep in mind that how I respond to him will be reflection of my own personal character and professionalism.

The fourth key principle of communication is that it includes both content and relationship management - this means that based on relationships, specific content can be interpreted in different ways (Kreps, 2011).   How communication is received will always depends on who we are communicating with.  For example, my difficult boss at times may realize that his tones or requests are interpreted by me as being offensive or demanding.  His interpretation of our relationship may differ from mine.  Although, I have become accustomed to his mood swings since I maintain professionalism the relational development that has been built between us is likely interpreted differently by each of us.  While he may assume I am ok with his behavior, deep down I may perceive his behavior as that of a man who likes to excerpt power over others in order to make himself feel validated.

According to Rusko (2014), “Politeness and cooperation are an important regulator of behavior that is imperative for achieving effective interaction between people” (p.96).  When communicating in organizations many of us assume that politeness and cooperation should be a given; however, there are bosses who lack these essential communications skills.  The key principles of polite and cooperative communication in the workplace ensures successful communication and saves the speaker’s image (Rusko, 2014).  While I make it a point to always practice these two principles, unfortunately, they are not always practiced by individuals in my workplace which has resulted in my having a negative image of their communication skills.


References

Kreps, G.L. (2011) Communication in Organizations. San Diego, CA: Bridgepoint Education, Inc.

Rusko, T. (2014). Politeness and Cooperaton Principles in Communication. Language in Different Contexts / Kalba Ir Kontekstai, 6(1, Part 1&2), 89-97.

No comments:

Post a Comment